Quidi Vidi Village, located in historic St. John’s, is one of North America’s oldest and most historic fishing communities, dating back to the 1600’s. The City wanted to celebrate this history and support local residents through a new cultural and community hub and they asked Stantec to help bring their vision to reality.
The 2-storey building reflects the traditional fishing stages and fishing rooms that have historically occupied the site. A new bridge connects the site to the East Coast Trail and other walking trails linking this site to the entire city of St. John’s.
The project consists of a cultural centre, a new wharf featuring a boat docking area designed for boat design instruction, and open gathering areas for the public. On the upper level, 10 flexible artisan workshops allow visitors to observe local artists practicing their craft. Economical yet highly durable interior finishes, feature exposed concrete floors and heavy timber structure suit the workshop function and support project objectives of beauty, durability and economy. The exterior draws inspiration from the coastal vernacular, marrying it well with its traditional and marine context.