Strike up the band. The town of Vernon, Florida turned out in force to celebrate the opening of new twin spans over Holmes Creek. The bridges replaced a 1939 concrete structure. But the crucial crossing has even deeper roots in the community – the first wooden bridge at the site, complete with off ramps for cattle herding, was built in 1887.
Stantec performed construction engineering inspection services for the bridge replacement program, which resulted in parallel bridges, each having two 12 foot lanes, a 10 foot outside shoulder, a six foot inside shoulder, and a six foot sidewalk separated from traffic with traffic railing.
Known as one of the most diverse paddles in the Northwest Florida Panhandle, the Holmes Creek Canoe Trail is a popular destination and remained open throughout the construction process. The environmental integrity of the waterway was of utmost importance and was monitored continuously. The project also included utility relocation, asphalt roadway paving, and maintenance of traffic and pavement markings.
The bridge is part of a planned upgrade and expansion of S.R. 79 in Washington and Holmes counties which will ease corridor congestion, encourage economic development, and improve safety.