Our team has conducted more than 200 dam safety inspections over the last 20 years for all types of water retaining structures.
Stantec has built a reputation for innovation and quality engineering. We have the in-house talent and skills necessary to handle all aspects of dam and embankment design, rehabilitation, inspection, and safety review. As Owner’s Engineer for numerous clients, we partnered with clients to provide general operations and maintenance support; dam safety training, inspections, and project monitoring; and emergency preparedness and assistance with emergency response in either low flow/drought or flood situations.
Dam Safety Programs
Stantec has provided consultant services to organizations looking to develop or implement dam safety programs for existing or future dam inventories. Services include developing organizational structures, dam safety programs, and guidelines for conducting Dam Safety activities. For instance, Stantec worked closely with EDELCA in Venezuela to help develop the organization’s Dam Safety Committee and to provide norms and procedures for Dam Safety inspections and evaluations for EDELCA’s two existing and two future hydroelectric projects. Stantec also prepared guidelines for development of a dam safety program for over 10 reservoirs planned as part of the South Florida Water Management District’s (SFWMD) Acceler8 program.
Dam Safety Guidelines
Stantec is fully experienced in the various international dam safety guidelines, including:
- US Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) Division of Dam Safety and Inspections – successfully completing more than 200 dam safety inspections over the last 30 years including more than 70 Part 12 Independent Consultant Safety Inspections.
- US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) - serving more than 30 US Army Corps of Engineers offices for IDIQ contracts.
- International Commission on Large Dams (ICOLD)
- United States Society on Dams (USSD)
- Canadian Dam Association (CDA)
- Australian National Committee on Large Dams (ANCOLD)
- New Zealand Society on Large Dams (NZSOLD)
As a result of this extensive experience, Stantec offers consulting engineering in a variety of dam safety services, such as:
- Inspection and condition evaluation of hydropower and non-hydropower dams and reservoirs.
- Inflow design flood estimates, including Probable Maximum Flood (PMF) estimation.
- Design of auxiliary spillways and spillway expansion for existing projects to meet regulatory requirements for safe flood routing.
- Evaluation of mechanical and electrical rehabilitation needs for gates and outlet works to ensure safe operation during flood passage.
- Evaluation of emergency preparedness and development of Emergency Action Plans (EAP).
- Analysis of spillway adequacy, dam stability, and gates and penstock structural integrity.
- Preparation of and updating EAPs and flood inundation maps.
- Preparation of public safety plans and development of recreation plans.
- Conducting dam safety training programs for dam owners and operators.
- Developing dam rehabilitation and life extension designs, including:
- Dam stabilization
- Spillway capacity expansion
- Embankment overtopping protection
- Foundation improvement
- Seepage control
- Penstock, gate, and outlet works rehabilitation
- Participation in Potential Failure Modes Analysis (PFMA) and Risk Assessments (RA)/Risk Informed Decision Making (RIDM) for various projects
We're better together
Become a client
Partner with us today to change how tomorrow looks. You’re exactly what’s needed to help us make it happen in your community.Contact Us
Design your career
Work with passionate people who are experts in their field. Our teams love what they do and are driven by how their work makes an impact on the communities they serve.Join the Team