Skip to main content
Start of main content

303 Battery

Pairing renewable energy with innovative construction and design solutions

  • 15


  • 112

    Apartment Units

  • 2K

    Square Feet of Retail

  • Seattle, Washington

    Seattle, Washington

Shifting multi-family residential to be net positive

Located in Seattle’s Belltown neighborhood, 303 Battery is a 15-story multi-family residential building with 112 units. The project is pursuing International Living Future Institute's Living Building Pilot Program certification under the Energy Petal performance area. This requires generating more energy than what can be used, capturing and treating all water on-site, and introducing healthy materials.

For this project, our team provided mechanical design, plumbing, and energy services. We developed innovative construction and design solutions that would not only reduce energy usage by 25% but would also allow the building to be net positive. Systems were introduced on-site to support lower energy demand, including insulated wall panels, high-performance glazing, in-floor radiant heating, and high-performance LED fixtures. An efficient central plant includes a wastewater heat recovery pump that covers 80% of the hot water needs, while an air source hot water heat pump covers the remaining 20%. Both on-site and off-site renewable energy harvesting resources are incorporated to support energy demand.

The 303 Battery project aims to create a construction paradigm shift for multi-family residential buildings through the bold integration of both highly efficient building systems and modular off-site construction. Upon completion, it will be the tallest building in North America to achieve the Living Building Pilot Program certification.

At a Glance

  • Riley Group, DCI Engineers, Wood
  • Harbinger, Moore Fire Protection,
  • KPFF
Meet Our Team

Aaditya Patel, Sustainability Consultant

The unprecedented impacts of climate change are here to stay-we must urgently act to find solutions that have a planet positive impact.

Aaditya Patel

Sustainability Consultant

We're better together

  • Become a client

    Partner with us today to change how tomorrow looks. You’re exactly what’s needed to help us make it happen in your community.

    Contact Us
  • Design your career

    Work with passionate people who are experts in their field. Our teams love what they do and are driven by how their work makes an impact on the communities they serve.

    Join the Team
End of main content
To top